Re: New rc.d/named features for testing: auto-forwarding and wait on boot

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:04:16 -0400 (EDT)
In article <96526.1238484035_at_critter.freebsd.dk>, phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk
writes:

>Maybe we need to do a more general mechanism, since many also
>would like us to have confirmed the wall-clock-time via NTP before
>we start anything that depends on it ?

In my case, I needed something like this because ntpd can't resolve its
servers until named is working, and if the resolution fails, ntpd
simply gives up on those servers.  The result is that ntpd starts with
no associations configured and never synchronizes to anything.

I'm not sure if this is fixed in more recent versions on ntpd.  (I'm
also dubious that you'd really want to wait 3*MINPOLL for ntpd to
figure out what's going on before you finish booting, but that's more
an argument to have with Dave Mills.)

-GAWollman