Re: Installation of FreeBSD 8.0-Current-2009-amd64-dvd

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 19:28:22 -0700
Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> A few days ago I have downloaded and installed 8.-Current-2009-05-amd64-dvd
> on ...
>
> (1) I tried to use X but X was completely missing .
> (2) Trying to add X with pkg_add did not worked...
> (3) I did not understand what can I do with that release...

FreeBSD-CURRENT is for people who are helping to develop
FreeBSD itself.  In order to use -CURRENT, you
need to be able to build software without using
packages.  Because -CURRENT is in development,
pre-built packages are not available (they would break
very quickly as the system changes).  Remember
that X is just another set of packages.

You can build and install X from ports:
   $ cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
   $ make
   $ make install

Is there a particular reason you wanted to run
FreeBSD-CURRENT?   It sounds like you might be
happier using the latest -STABLE release, which
is FreeBSD 7.2.

Cheers,

Tim Kientzle