Fw: Re: Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in /dev !

From: James Phillips <anti_spam256_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
Oops, didn't cc the list :P

From: James Phillips <anti_spam256_at_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in /dev !
To: "Saifi Khan" <saifi.khan_at_twincling.org>
--- On Mon, 5/11/09, Saifi Khan
<saifi.khan_at_twincling.org> wrote:

> From: Saifi Khan <saifi.khan_at_twincling.org>
> Subject: Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in
/dev !
> To: freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org, "FreeBSD
Questions" <freebsd-questions_at_freebsd.org>
> Hi all:
>
> Issue faced
>  Installer on 'Commit' step shows
>   Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in /dev!
>   The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

I am missing some context, but for me ad4 refers to the
first drive on an add-on card. (ad0,1 -> Primary IDE
controller, ad2,3 -> Secondary IDE controller)

handbook reference:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html
(Rule out the situation described in:
 2.6.1 BIOS Drive Numbering)

Your hardware in newer than mine: you have only one PATA
port and 2 SATA ports. While having your drive labeled as
ad4 strikes me as weird, I don't have enough BSD
experience to know if it is a symptom of a problem or not.
(I know my drive is on ad4 because the on-board controllers
are slower than my add-on card. After a BIOS update booting
is no problem. (I initially tried to forcibly disable the
on-board controller: now, I ignore it.))

Do you think you may have come across an installer bug?
If so, I suspect we will need more information about
exactly what you were trying to do.

Regards,

James Phillips

> System
>  Intel Celeron M 1.6 GHz
>  Intel 945GM board
Mobile chipset apparently.

>  2GB DDR2
>  160GB SATA Seagate HDD

<SNIPPED Version 7.1 works, 8.0 does not>