Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:01:26 +0100
On 11/5/09 11:48, Saifi Khan wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Is there a way to sidestep the sysinstall during the
> installation process, beyond selecting the 'location' ?
>
> i'm using FreeBSD 8.0 200905 i386 snapshot DVD and looking
> for an approach to drive the entire installation from the
> Fixit# command line console.
>
> i'm a experienced Gentoo Linux user.
>
> Any suggestions, pointers or observations ?

Since you are using the snapshot DVD you should have the live/fixit
environment which is very handy for this.
I would suggest a combination of LOTS of reading and understanding of
the pages at
http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2
(which goes though the steps for partitoning and installing using fdisk
and bsdlabel, adjust paths to your dvd-rom)
and if you want zfs
http://lulf.geeknest.org/blog/freebsd/Setting_up_a_zfs-only_system/
(goes though using gpart instead of fdisk and bsdlabel if you want to
use zfs on root)
should be enough to get you started. I assume you dont need too much
hand holding since you want to install -CURRENT.

Vince