Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:34:01 +0930
On Tue, 12 May 2009, Saifi Khan wrote:
> "Unknown giant"
> i still wonder why a snapshot should have a dysfunctional installer ?
>
> stable slice and partition support is key to trying or helping
> or contributing towards testing/coding for an evolving "unknown
> giant". Oh well :)

I think you're missing the point of a -current snapshot.
It is _not_ designed for someone to come along and go "hey I'd like to
get into developing FreeBSD, I'll install it".

It is there as a "system test" (ie make sure make release works) and to
provide a handy ISO for gurus if they need to bootstrap something.

The fact the installer is broken should be reported as a bug though (ie
send-pr).

> Check this out
> http://www.twincling.org/node/237
>
> If you scan this page for a minute, you will appreciate the
> overall flow of installation of Gentoo Linux. Even if you
> haven't tried the weekly Gentoo build, you may be encouraged to
> try this out !
>
> Putting out a monthly snapshot is nice and if the people are
> going to not find info about 'Fixit#' and commands in the
> legendary handbook, that is not very helpful.

FreeBSD doesn't work this way, you are trying to fit FreeBSD into your
Gentoo way of thinking. Obviously this causes pain, please stop.

If you want to try FreeBSD, start with a release, if that works then you
can update to HEAD and install that way.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum