Re: Fighting for the power. [syslogd]

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:13:36 -0700
Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On May 5, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Regarding syslogd, I've considered adding support to batch/buffer
>> writes to workaround a problem that I consider rather important:
>> syslogd is not started early enough in the boot so it's not available
>> to log msgs from other applications.  In particular I hit this
>> because wpa_supplicant logs via syslog but when it's started at boot
>> syslogd isn't available and since wpa_supplicant operates in a
>> chroot'd environment it cannot defer connecting until syslogd has
>> started up so nothing is ever logged.
>> [ ... ]
>

> You can use -l flag to syslogd to create additional logging sockets
> under your chroot'ed filesystem tree, similar to the way named & ntpd
> uses it; see syslogd_precmd() in /etc/rc.d/syslogd....
>
> Regards,

Blech, thanks.  That might be a stopgap solution but it still doesn't
allow syslogd to be started earlier which is what is needed for
many/most setups.  syslogd has mountcritremote as REQUIRE to handle
diskless setups but IMO this should be (at least) configurable.  But
rather than argue this nonsense I think the better solution is to do
what I suggest so syslogd can be started very early and capture
everything available (e.g. your suggestion still loses msgs logged while
setting up nfs mounts).

    Sam