Re: -current snapshots and xen kernels

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 14:37:09 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> 2009/5/15 Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>:
>
>> This was discussed at the devsummit also, and struck many people as a good
>> idea.  The usual tension, however, is over the amount of free space on the
>> ISO.  It might be time to drop the UP kernel from our install CD and
>> replace it with a Xen kernel, and add an install-time option to select the
>> kernel?
>
> Well initially I don't know how you'd use the domU kernel inside an actual
> domain so I don't see why you'd throw it in sysinstall just for now.
>
> Just leave it on the snapshot CD so people like me can manually create basic
> VM images (which is easy under FreeBSD - install kernel and base tardist in
> a new filesystem using "install.sh"; boot it) and it should lower the
> barrier for bootstrapping a DomU VM.

The goal would be to make it trivial to install FreeBSD Xen domU boxes by
providing an active selection in the installer for such a kernel, entirely
avoiding the ned for people to know anything about the installation process.
Perhaps not as obtrusive as "Are you installing a Xen domU domain" but an easy
way to get to it (or just an alternative first ISO that does the Xen kernel by
default).  Our kernel configuration chapters in the handbook also need
updating to reflect this...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge