Re: Building boot2 for ixp425

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 11:16:17 -0700
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:09:20PM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:

> > > So, I did the above buildworld.  That's KERNCONF agnostic, right?
> > >
> > > And then I did the "buildenv/cd/make" above, and created a
> > > boot2 image finally.  Cool.  However, it is not UFS-kosher
> > >
> > > Onto the Avila board, stuff in flash, and "go" it:
> > >
> > >     RedBoot> go
> > >     FreeBSD ARM (Gateworks Avila) boot2 v0.4
> > >     Not ufs
> >
> > The boot2 loader is only for booting when the kernel is on flash (ie
> > compat flash card plugged in).
>
> There is a nanobsd built image on the compact flash card,
> which is plugged in.
>
> > Are you sure you have flash storage plugged in
>
> Yes.
>
> > with a ufs bootable filesystem on it?
>
> Maybe.  I think I successfully built that image using
> the nanobsd.sh script with the G2348 kernel via the
> tools/tools/nanobsd/gateworks/avila conf file.
>
> Is there a tool that will take nanobsd's "full disk" image,
> inspect it, and itemize what is really in it?

Ah, I forgot you were using nanobsd. The only thing I can think of is
maybe the endian on the ufs filesystem is wrong

This is an image for an Xscale board
 # file - < /dev/ad0s1a
 /dev/stdin: Unix Fast File system [v2] (big-endian) ...

ARM can be big endian or little endian so you may want to check what
type you need and if nanobsd has created it correctly.

cheers,
Andrew