Launching a CURSES based application on bootup and before getty launches

From: Scott Ullrich <sullrich_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 21:47:28 -0400
Hello CURRENT,

I am trying to launch a CURSES based program (BSDInstaller FrontEND
http://cvs.bsdinstaller.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/installer/src/frontends/ncurses/)
prior to full system bootup.

After launching the curses based program everything on the console
seems to block.   If I press CTRL-D then I see the curses based screen
appear but the console is still blocked (does not accept keyboard
input).

Anyone have any pointers or suggestions?  The ISO is available here if
someone wants to give it a spin:
http://cvs.pfsense.com/~sullrich/pfSense.iso

The idea is being able to launch a recovery console (BSDInstaller
option) to rescue config.xml from a failed hard disk and allow the
system to use the newer config.xml on bootup in a LiveCD environment.

Appreciate any help, comments, questions, etc.

Thanks all,

Scott