GELI Passphrase at boottime

From: Felix Stolba <alleepsilonkleinereins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:32:46 +0200
Hello,

I guess this problem has persisted since 6.0 or probably earlier, at
least this is where I encountered it first.
The geli passphrase prompt (at boottime) doesn't detect keyboard input
correctly, sometimes it
will detect a key pressed, sometimes it won't etc.

I know that disabling kbdmux helped with some people, here it doesn't
change geli's behaviour.
Also, having different keyboard mapping is out of the question.
So, I helped myself with a little script in rc.conf:

    #!/bin/sh
    test -e /dev/ad0s2.eli
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] then
        geli attach /dev/ad0s2
    fi

Doing this plus removing the boot flag for the geli device did the
trick, all input is detected when asked for passphrase.
After being attached, the devices get checked for errors, fragmentation
etc. and are mounted correctly as listed in /etc/fstab.

Maybe this can help s/o with similiar problems.

Felix