Re: discrepancies in used space after cpio

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:26:48 -0500
In the last episode (May 19), Ruben de Groot said:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:21:22AM +0100, Paul Wootton typed:
> > Yes /DemoPool is a raidz pool that is going to replace my single disk
> > pool.  Dmitry was right about sparse files
> > demophon# pwd
> > /var/tmp/kdecache-paul/kpc
> > demophon# du -hA .
> > 1.2G    .
> > demophon# du -h .
> > 8.9M    .
> >
> > Is there a there a better way instead of using cpio for moving an entire
> > filing system from a single disk zfs pool to a raidz zfs pool?  Or does
> > making a sparse file in to a none sparse file just consume more disk
> > space and no other side affects
>
> zfs send/recv ?

cpio has a --sparse option that might recreate the sparse on the destination
filesystem.  Another solution would be to enable compression on your pool:
"zfs set compress=on /DemoPool".  The default compression (lzjb) consumes
very little CPU and compresses zeros well :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com