Re: Socket related code duplication in NFS

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:06:05 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 20 May 2009, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> While working on an optimized soreceive_stream() function [1] and checking
> the code how it is used I've come across quite a bit of code duplication in
> the various NFS directories.
>
> Socket (read) operations are handled multiple times in a very similar manner
> in these places:

My recommendation would be to do this analysis against the new NFS client and
server found in sys/{kgssapi,nlm,fs/{nfs,nfsclient,nfsserver}}, which is the
NFSv234 implementation.  Note in particular that in the new world order
there's a centralize RPC implementation.

The code you're looking at is a blend of the old NFSv23 client/server
(nfsclient/nfsserver) and the old NFSv4 client (rpc/nfs4client), all if which
are on a gradual de-orbit burn.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge