Re: Socket related code duplication in NFS

From: Doug Rabson <dfr_at_rabson.org>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:50:38 +0100
On Thu, 21 May 2009 11:36:49 +0100 (BST), Robert Watson
<rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009, Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 May 2009, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>>
>>> While working on an optimized soreceive_stream() function [1] and
>>> checking
>>> the code how it is used I've come across quite a bit of code
duplication
>>> in
>>> the various NFS directories.
>>>
>>> Socket (read) operations are handled multiple times in a very similar
>>> manner in these places:
>>
>> My recommendation would be to do this analysis against the new NFS
client

>> and server found in sys/{kgssapi,nlm,fs/{nfs,nfsclient,nfsserver}},
which
>> is
>> the NFSv234 implementation.  Note in particular that in the new world
>> order
>> there's a centralize RPC implementation.
>>
>> The code you're looking at is a blend of the old NFSv23 client/server
>> (nfsclient/nfsserver) and the old NFSv4 client (rpc/nfs4client), all if
>> which are on a gradual de-orbit burn.
>
> After re-reading this e-mail, I realize that I'd mislabeled src/sys/rpc
as
> being only used by the old code -- this is in fact not the case, it's
also
> used by the new code.

Everything in src/sys/rpc except rpcclient.[ch] is part of the new RPC
transport. The files rpcclient.c and rpcclient.h are part of the old broken
NFSv4 client which is scheduled for removal.

There is older RPC transport code in src/sys/nfsclient and
src/sys/nfsserver which is currently used if the user uses the
NFS_LEGACYRPC option. This too should be removed before 8.0 ships.