Re: My FreeBSD-current/Xen install notes

From: Michael David Crawford <mdc_at_prgmr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 04:22:02 -0700
> VIMAGE and jails are OS-level virtualization, orthogonal to Xen.

I want to run Xen so I can build and test Ogg Frog[1] on each of the
target platforms I plan to support.  I built a fancy Xeon box so that I
could even build and test on all the platforms simultaneously.

I also operate a couple Internet servers, which are themselves Xen DomUs
at commercial Xen Virtual Private Server hosting services.

I'd like to place each service that they operate into a jail, so that if
someone manages to bust in because of a security hole in one of the
server programs, they would only be able to get at the contents of that
particular jail.

But all of the jails are just subdivisions of a single operating system;
I can't run other OSes within them.

[1] http://www.oggfrog.com/free-music-software/
     No, there is nothing to download yet.  Real Soon Now.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc_at_prgmr.com

    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen