Re: syslogd starting before IPv6 network is up

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:53:19 +0200
Nicolas Blais wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_withagen.nl
> <mailto:wjw_at_withagen.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Nicolas Blais wrote:
>
>         On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Willem Jan Withagen
>         <wjw_at_digiware.nl <mailto:wjw_at_digiware.nl>>wrote:
>
>             Nicolas Blais wrote:
>
>                 I migrated one of my 8-CURRENT (Thu May 21) box to IPv6
>                 and since then, I
>                 get the following message at boot:
>
>                 syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
>                 syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
>                 syslogd:
>                 child pid 250 exited with return code 1
>
>                 and syslogd obviously fails to start. Apparently this
>                 problem has been
>                 reported before, but no actual solution other than start
>                 syslogd from
>                 rc.local was given.

> I tried disabling the firewall and it didn't  fix the problem.
>
> I have attached a dmesg -a with RC_DEBUG="YES"

So you can run syslogd once the whole system is up and running?
Because that is what the rc.local suggests.

I'm not using the -s open, I've used the -A option to actually specify the
addresses I want to listen on. And if you don't want to receive anything
from other systems. You might also forgo the option of opening a network
socket at all using -s -s.

--WjW