Re: today's releng_7 memory on boot

From: Florian Smeets <flo_at_kasimir.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:33:10 +0200
On 26.05.09 12:27, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> there is no mention of such a need for this in $subject UPDATING
>> Update ZFS to version 13. ZFS users will need to re-build
>> kernel and world.
>
> sorry.  but not that they have to be 100% dead sync.  i.e. the trap into
> which i fell, needing to boot the kernel to do the installworld, which
> required zfs.
>
> randy

Yes, if you have your base system on zfs you have to installworld with
the old kernel booted.

Here is what i did.

installkernel, reboot, if the kernel boots fine (zfs will obviously not
work and show messages like "internal error: out of memory"), boot
kernel.old, installworld, reboot. Everything should be fine.

I think this should be added to UPDATING with better wording of course
;-). This is going to bite all users who have /, /usr, $SRCDIR or
$OBJDIR on zfs i think.

AFAIK this will be needed for -CURRENT and for the 7.2 -> 7.3 update.

Cheers,
Florian