Re: dig -6 causes bind9 error

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:20:08 -0700
Nicolas Blais wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On a 8-CURRENT machine and a 7.2-STABLE machine, whenever the command "dig
> -6 xxxx" is issued, the following error is printed:

Given that you appear to only have an IPv4 server in your
/etc/resolv.conf file, why would you expect that to work? The -4 and
-6 flags are only relevant when you are using a name server hostname
that has both A and AAAA records.

That said, I agree that the error message is less than graceful,
although dig is apparently trying to be helpful in converting what
you've given it into the best IPv6 format it can think of to try and
do what you told it to do.

hth,

Doug