Profile rc idea

From: Nathan Lay <nslay_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:40:36 -0400
Hi list,
Wasn't sure which list this idea belongs, so I sent it here.  It would
be interesting if rc was extended to support profiles.  Each profile
would reflect a different system configuration.  For example profiles
could describe the computing environment at: home, work, friend's house,
airplane, etc... The active profile the system uses could be chosen
based on some contingency condition.  For example, simply prompting the
user to choose an rc profile at boot, or using hardware to choose the
profile (e.g. like location based contingency using GPS hardware), or
whatever...  I guess this only pertains to booting though, but rc seems
like a natural place to do this.  Thoughts, comments?  Yet another idea
I have no time to try...

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay