Re: signifanctly slowdown of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64

From: bf <bf2006a_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:59:32 -0700 (PDT)
>2009/5/30 Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org>:

>Also, did you compile the single-core athlon64 without the option SMP?
>
>Thanks,
>Attilio

I'm running the r193133 amd64 with a custom kernel and all debugging off
on an AMD Athlon64 3400+ single-core, and I haven't noticed any significant
slowing, although I haven't been doing any systematic benchmarking.

What would be the penalties of running an SMP -CURRENT kernel on
single-core hardware with no hyperthreading? Can anyone quantify the
typical added overhead?  Or, counterintuitively, would an SMP kernel
be better in some ways?

Regards,
          b.