lzma and bsdtar

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:44:50 -0700
Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:

> Just as an aside, are you guys still not supporting lzma in bsdtar?

bsdtar in -CURRENT does support lzma and xz compression
and decompression by feeding the data through the external
lzma, unlzma, xz, and unxz command-line programs.  This
only works if you have those programs installed from the
archivers/lzmautils-devel port, of course, and it's
significantly slower than using the library support.

There is an option in libarchive to compile against the
liblzma library for direct support of these formats.
Of course, that requires you to have the libraries
installed first (from archivers/lzmautils-devel port)
and then recompiling libarchive.  (See comments in
/usr/src/lib/libarchive/Makefile for how to turn on
the liblzma support.)

I would like to import liblzma (not liblzmadec) into
the FreeBSD base system.  Liblzma is generously licensed
and supports both writing and reading and also supports
the newer "xz" file format.  Once that is done, we can
turn on the full libarchive/bsdtar support for lzma/xz
by default.  I don't have time to work on this right now,
unfortunately.

Tim