Re: gnome, automounting, and ataraid don't get along well

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:37:48 -0500 (EST)
In article <4AEF317B.8030200_at_sandstorm.net>, jh_at_sandstorm.net writes:

>2) the devices in /dev/ufsid/ are associated with partitions on the adN
>drives, not for the RAID they're assembled into (not sure whether ata or
>ataraid or geom/glabel is responsible for this).

This is a long-standing bug in ataraid.  It should not be possible to
open the individual members of a RAID set for writing, and the
existence of the ataraid should spoil other consumers of the
individual disk providers.  (The same thing happens with regular UFS
labels.  I think the actual problem is that ataraid works behind
GEOM's back, but doesn't withdraw the disk providers so GEOM thinks
they are separate devices.)  The only workaround that I have found is
to disable the poor-man's-RAID and use gmirror instead.

In general, having used both ataraid and gmirror systems since 5.x, my
impression is that gmirror works better and is more manageable.

-GAWollman