Re: mixer settings on 8.0-RC2

From: Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:45:03 -0200
On Tuesday 03 November 2009 5:07:26 am Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> > On Monday 02 November 2009 11:22:03 am Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> >> It appears that my 8.0-RC2 system (notebook) forgets its mixer
> >> settings with every reboot.
> >>
> >> FreeBSD mobileKamikaze.norad 8.0-RC2 FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 #0: Sat Oct
> >> 31 02:49:30 CET 2009
> >> root_at_mobileKamikaze.norad:/usr/obj/HP6510b-8/amd64/usr/src/sys/HP6
> >>510 b-8  amd64
> >>
> >> Regards
> >
> > May I ask how are you setting them?
> >
> > Regards
> > Gonzalo
>
> With mixer(8). But now the settings are remembered.
>
> I suppose some evil app is to blame. But nothing apart from Skype
> comes to mind and I configured it not to touch the mixer settings.
>
> Regards

Sorry but I have to ask ... have you tried configuring mixer settings as
described in section 7.2.4 of the FreBSD handbook?

That is to say:

"The default values for the different mixer channels are hardcoded in
the sourcecode of the pcm(4) driver. There are many different
applications and daemons that allow you to set values for the mixer
that are remembered between invocations, but this is not a clean
solution. It is possible to set default mixer values at the driver
level -- this is accomplished by defining the appropriate values
in /boot/device.hints, e.g.:

hint.pcm.0.vol="50"

This will set the volume channel to a default value of 50 when the
pcm(4) module is loaded."

because that works for me :s

Best Regards
Gonzalo