Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld

From: Mark Atkinson <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:26:15 -0800
Kai Gallasch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I installed 8.0RC2-amd64 on an 8-core opteron server a few days ago.
>
> When I try to do a make buildworld or make buildkernel the server
> reboots without any message left in the logs. The same happens
> when building bigger ports (for example ruby18 or perl58)
>
> With 8.0-RC2 debug flags and witness seem to be disabled in the
> standard GENERIC kernel, so unfortunately it is not possible for me to
> build a debug kernel without my server crashing..
>
> Now my idea was to install the old 8.0-BETA4 and upgrade to RC2 through
> makeworld + buildkernel (gdb+witness). But no luck. When trying to
> upgrade to RC2 the 8.0-BETA4 also crashes. At least 8.0-BETA4 has debug
> + witness active in the GENERIC kernel..
>
> So below some debug output of 8.0-BETA4 crashing. Has a vfs/ffs LOR
> problem with the BETA4 already been fixed?
>
> Does it make sense to send in a pr with the old 8.0-BETA4?
>
> BTW. I installed 7.2-STABLE on this same server and did a "make
> buildworld" and "make buildkernel" which completed without any problem.
>
> Cheers,
> --Kai
>

> ----- make buildworld -j7 crash, freebsd 8.0-amd64-beta4 -----

Definitely try the usual memory testing, power supply testing, etc.

I had a similar problem, but with a HP DL385G5 that has some sort of
"memory issue," and it would just silently reboot (which turned out to
be a machine check exception.)  I could never finger the problem be it
with bios, the actual memory, or the fact that there's only one 4 core
cpu on a two socket board and only the associated memory bank filled.

I did various memory swaps to no avail, it would run memtest86 all day
with no errors, and in the end I just turned superpages off and it works
.  Like a champ.

If vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled is 1 in 8.0-rc2, you might try rebooting
with

vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled="0"

in /boot/loader.conf and try another buildworld.