Re: 8.0-RC2 mangles msdosfs

From: Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze_at_bsdforen.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:50:21 +0100
Alexander Best wrote:
> Paul G Webster schrieb am 2009-11-03:
> *lol* just tried this myself and my fdisk output looks just as bad as yours:

I think funny fdisk output is not that much of a problem.

I normally put a single file system on external drives and
don't bother partitioning. This is also a common default
for many portable audio players.

Heavy file system corruption with every write operation really
renders msdosfs completely unusable. Now, I've got to rip my
CDs and DVDs under FreeBSD and reboot into Windows to copy music
and videos onto my player. This is really annoying for such a
trivial use case.

And msdosfs is still the default file system for portable
devices, so it's an important desktop use case. Even in the
business world, where often restrictive networks render USB
sticks the only acceptable method of transporting large chunks
of data.

What I wonder is - are there more people who witness file
system corruption upon msdosfs writes (and don't forget
that either newfs_msdos or fsck_msdosfs is broken as well,
and that fsck_msdosfs certainly does not recognize
cross-linked files). The impact is so horrid that I had
to reformat my portable player (with Windows) and reinstall
the firmware to get it back going.