Re: What is the state of ZFS on FreeBSD?

From: Robert Huff <roberthuff_at_rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:09:17 -0500
Artis Caune writes:

>  > I'm interested inb putting together a file server with lots of disk.
>  >
>  > What's the state of ZFS? Is it ready for production use?
>
>  yes, please, see
>  http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=197218

	I'd say it's a matter of individual risk tolerance and how well
one knows ZFS.
	Reading questions_at_, current_at_, and hackers_at_, there are many
people happily running ZFS.  But it's also generating _at least_ 10x
the queries and problems of ufs, ext?fs, ntfs/msdosfs, and nfs put
together.  Much of that is "Can I X?" or "How do I X?" ... and the
rest isn't.
	My personal take: ZFS has been out there for less than five
years (according to Wikipedia) and is still in the steep part of the
development curve.  I'll wait until it has a few more gigadays under
its belt before betting the ranch.

				Robert Huff