Re: bootstrap loader problem

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:21:25 -0500
On Sunday 08 November 2009 4:54:51 pm Don L. Belcher wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 November 2009 7:35:55 pm Don L. Belcher wrote:
> >
> >> New Dell 1737 laptop
> >>
> >> The following error occurs with versions 7.2 release and later
> >> this message is from 8  RC2. All versions tried with 7.1 release and
> >> earlier  work fine, I tried 7.1, 7.2 and 6.4. I rebuilt 8 RC2 CD with
> >> "loader"
> >> from 7.1 release and the 8 RC2 comes up O.K. now.
> >> I have two questions:
> >> 1) is anybody familiar with this problem
> >> 2) is it ok to install 8 RC2 using the 7.1 "loader"
> >>
> >> BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
> >> Consoles: internal video/keyboard
> >> panic: free: guard1 fail _at_ 0xbb797074 from  (diretory path to)
> >> common/console.c:94
> >> --> Press a key (etc)
> >>

> > I have not seen that before.  Can you try compiling a loader on 8 that
> > doesn't include GPT support?  (cd /sys/boot; make
> > LOADER_NO_GPT_SUPPORT=yes)
> >
> Sorry it took so long. I installed to hard drive and the "loader" does
> not exhibit the problem.
> The problem only shows up when booting from CD ROM. The boot from CD ROM
> works
> OK using the "loader" built with make LOADER_NO_GPT_SUPPORT=yes

Bizarre, so somehow the BIOS for your CD drive is choking when the loader
uses memory > 1MB for its malloc().  Hmmm, I know other people tested that
change because I had to add bounce buffering to the CD drivers in the loader
for buffers > 1MB.  I could perhaps have a bug in the bounce buffering code
that is trashing malloc's internal state if it does a buffer overrun of some
sort.

--
John Baldwin