Re: How to confuse geom_part_mbr

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:43:15 +0100
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> > The machine won't boot, even though you have a valid partition table
> > on ad0 that points to a valid bsdlabel in ad0s1.
> No, you don't have a valid partition table on ad0, because
> you didn't remove the BSD disklabel in sector 2 on ad0.

Yes, I do have a valid partition table.  It is exactly byte-by-byte
identical to the one I get after I zero sector two and re-run fdisk.
The fact that there is unwanted data in sector 2 does *not* make it any
less valid.

What's more, this could have easily been avoided if geom_whatever gave
the partition table precedence over the label it found in sector 2.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no