Re: Help ZFS FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 Write performance issue

From: Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:01:45 -0600
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Scott Ullrich <sullrich_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. <sfourman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess I am confused a bit.
>> Why is it that sftp has better write speed than NFS? and from what I
>> am hearing there isn't a good way to fox it?
>> what about if I try and tweak the nfs connection paramaters. all of
>> these tests were done with whatever default is.
>>
>> anyone have any Ideas on better client connection parameters?
>
> Sam, might want to take a look at my thread on freebsd-fs titled "Slow
> disk write IO with ZFS / NFS".
>
> Scott

---paste from Slow disk write IO with ZFS / NFS --------

Failing that, Add a log device to the pool, SSD or ramdisk is ideal, but
separate disk HDD spindles to your data zpool also works pretty well.

is there anyway to safely have a log device on a ramdisk? I would assume not.
Does anyone have a link to a how to for putting the ZFS log device on
seprate disk spindles?

Sam Fourman