Re: "corrupt or invalid GPT" when attempting to import Solaris ZFS pool (8.0-RC3)

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:57:27 +0100
Am 17.11.2009 um 05:10 schrieb Jeremy Thornhill:

> I've been testing the procedure with a USB drive which was allocated
> as a single pool under Solaris. It's the correct filesystem version
> (13). I export the pool from the Solaris box, and then attempt to
> import it on the FreeBSD box. Unfortunately, I get the following
> error, and the pool is not able to be imported:
>
> GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
> GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

What error are you getting from zpool import?

I believe the GEOM error is due to Solaris adding the GPT partition table to the start of the device, but not the end.  GEOM requires both copies to be present and identical, IIRC.  Since the pool fills the device, there's no space at the end, so adding the second copy is not an option.

You could try destroying the first GPT copy by zeroing the first 34 blocks.  I'm not sure what Solaris will make of the pool after this, though:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=34

However, I'd expect this to have no effect on zpools ability to import the pool.

HTH,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811