Re: request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:14:06 +0100
Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 17/11/09 9:14 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:

[...]

> Possibly freebsd-update should be maintained as part of the release
> process and not by someone at arm's length to the re team. In recent
> times it has broken rebooting after an update twice: once because of the
> above issue, and earlier when updating from 7.2 to 8.0-beta it was
> impossible to install a new kernel, reboot and then install world. This
> wasn't a freebsd-update specific issue (there is an incompatibility
> between new ZFS kernel modules and old userland tools), but it will bite
> everyone using freebsd-update and ZFS.

If we are talking about freebsd-update... It would be nice if
freebsd-update leave old kernel available in /boot/ as with source
upgrade (/boot/kernel.old) at least until second reboot (in case of
upgrade), because if new kernel failed to boot after first reboot, then
the machine become unbootable without some kind of LiveFS media.

[...]

Miroslav Lachman