Re: request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:03:20 +0200
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Gary Jennejohn
<gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:44:12 +0200
> Dan Naumov <dan.naumov_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > WHy not just build from source?
>>
>> Because expecting users to build from source to install or update
>> their systems in the year 2009 is an outdated concept, this is why we
>> have freebsd-update in the first place.
>>

> This is such a load of BS I could fertilize 100 acres with it.
>
> In this day of inexpensive computers with fast mulit-core CPUs and
> gigabytes of memory this argument is completely lame.

No it is not. The fact that computers are faster today is not a valid
excuse to inconvenience the users whatsoever.

It is bad enough that sysinstall doesn't support ZFS so a ZFS-only
installation has to be done purely using a commandline, but demanding
the user to rebuild the system to be able to boot off a filesystem
which is one of the most advertised features of FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x is
plain ridiculous.

What if the user is a newcomer who doesn't _HAVE_ an existing FreeBSD
installation he could use to build a ZFS-boot-capable FreeBSD
installation image? If a user goes to www.freebsd.org and downloads
the .ISO images of 8.0, it is completely unreasonable to force the
user to jump through having to make an installation, rebuild the
sources, make a new .ISO for his own use and then reinstall using
that. If you don't see WHY, I don't quite know what to tell you.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov