Re: request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

From: Holger Kipp <hk_at_alogis.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:23:32 +0100
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 04:25:09PM +0200, Dan Naumov wrote:
> 2009/11/18 O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>:
> > Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> >> This is such a load of BS I could fertilize 100 acres with it.
> >>
> >> In this day of inexpensive computers with fast mulit-core CPUs and
> >> gigabytes of memory this argument is completely lame.
> >>
> >> Fifteen years ago I would have agreed, because it took days to build
> >> world and the kernel.  Been there, done that.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Gary Jennejohn
> >
> > Been there, did it, too.
> >
> > Fools, conceptually compromised by Microsofts closed-binary-strategy, often
> > complain about 'why compiling, it is an outdated concept ...'. It is, simply
> > in my opinion, a helpless selfdefense: they do not understand much about
> > operating systems (me, too) and never try to understand the concept behind
> > (me not). But today, having sophisticated binary update facilities, it seems
> > to speed up a worse development: many companies save the computer-scientist
> > to maintain their stuff - because they have a bunch of cheap fools
> > 'fertilizing the acres of foolsness' and pretending being the master of the
> > puppets by hitting an 'update-key' and everythings works magically ...
>
> This is unreasonable elitism. Having to jump through hoops, manually

Ah no. If someone needs a precompiled system with everything, he can go
and use Windows or Linux. I prefer using *BSD _because_ I can compile
everything from scratch. And the build-system usually works much better
than many 'pre-compiled' binary systems on the market.

> adjust Makefiles and spend time compiling just to apply a system
> update does NOT make you a "guru". It makes you waste time that could
> be better spent elsewhere.

Usually adjusting Makefiles is not necessary, because the defaults are fine
for most users. If you _need_ to adjust Makefiles, then a precompiled solution
is definitely not suited to your needs. Trust me on that ;-)

Regards,
Holger