Re: Attansic L1e Gigabit Ethernet driver support

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:00:55 +0100
2009/6/7  <francklarchange_at_free.fr>:

> I'm sorry, I actually have the same problem than in thread "ACPI problem with
> new acer aspire 6930G", I misread the logs and didn't realized that acpi was the
> problem, here is my dmesg :
>
> ale0: <Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet> irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci9
> ale0: 0x40000 bytes of rid 0x10 res 3 failed (0, 0xffffffffffffffff).
> ale0: cannot allocate memory resources.
> device_attach: ale0 attach returned 6

The problem is that some some buggy BIOS do force ACPI to clobber the
start/ending memory regions of some PCI bridges to 0/0 then the PCI
bridges cannot request 0/0xfff... memory ranges. I would bet ale is
the only device linked to this specific PCI bridge.
A way to solve this would be jhb's multipass mechanism to be completed
with resources discovering&allocation mechanism.

Shortly: I don't expect this fixed in the near term.

Thanks,
Attilio