Re: What's Eating FreeBSD 8?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:01:49 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, K.R. wrote:

>> 8.0-Release is being distributed to mirrors at this time, so all of the RCs
>> and BETAs have been pulled. Some mirrors may have 8.0-RELEASE and I expect
>> 8.0 to be announced very shortly.
>>
>> Note that I am not in any way involved in the release, but I have seen the
>> future and it is very near.
>>
> I'm perfectly sure I downloaded a complete set of 8.0 ISO images off the
> official BitTorrent tracker *two* days ago.
>
> See http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/

The release process is highly non-atomic -- from time of tag to time of
announcement is a minimum of days and typically at least a week.  Some of the
things between tag and announcement are the build process, validation, upload
to ftp-master, distribution to mirrors, and release announcement/notes/press
release chewing.  I'm not sure this is a problem, but it's true that it's
dragged out a bit more than usual.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge