Re: zfs parent/child nfs share problem

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:55:34 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Marcin Bujak wrote:

> Hi
> How can I properly share ZFS trough NFS with a child ZFS filesystems mounted
> in ?
[stuff snipped]
> so, the file has been created in the parent filesystem instead of in the
> mounted child
> when I use mount server1:something/test1 /something then it works properly
> zfs sharenfs=off something/test1 doesn't help
>
> is it possible to share a whole zfs structure in a one single parent share ?

Only if you want to live on the bleeding edge and use NFSv4, via the
experimental server/client. NFSv2 and v3 does not allow servers to
cross mount pt/volume boundaries, so each has to be exported and mounted
separately. (fyi, even the Solaris10 NFSv4 client gets confused by
crossing of mount point boundaries and won't work. I believe the Linux
client, experimental FreeBSD8 client and maybe OpenSolaris can handle it.)

If you choose this route, you'll want the patches in r199616 and r199715
that are in FreeBSD-current and will be MFC'd to stable/8 in a week or so.
(If you go to http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/fs/nfsserver,
  then look at nfs_nfsdserv.c and nfs_nfsdport.c, you should be able to
  find them. I think I'll try and put them somewhere easy to grab.)

You'll also probably want to:
 	sysctl vfs.newnfs.enable_locallocks=0
since the local locks acquired by the experimental server for NFSv4
is currently broken.

rick