nd6 change and rc.d/network_ipv6 -> rc.d/netif integration (was: Re: svn commit: r197145 - in head: etc/defaults share/man/man5)

From: Hiroki Sato <hrs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:34:27 +0900 (JST)
Hi,

 I would like your comments about merging the network_ipv6 -> netif
 integration to stable/8.  The issue of this rc.d script change is it
 involves user-visible changes in rc.conf(5) variables as described in
 UPDATING.

 I still want to do so before 8.0-R because the ND6 change in -CURRENT
 needs updating IPv6-related rc.d scripts first.  While the ND6 change
 is not harmful from viewpoint of compatibility because basically it
 just converts a global knob to a per-interface flag, handling it in
 the rc.d scripts needs a kind of overhaul of rc.d/network_ipv6 and
 rc.d/netif.

 The necessary changes have already been committed into -CURRENT.  It
 displays a warning to inform the users what is old in the rc.conf if
 the user uses rc.d variables that have been changed, and at the same
 time it keeps backward compatibility so that the old variables also
 work.  So, I think the impact is small enough, and this sort of
 visible changes should be included in the .0 release rather than in
 the middle of future 8.x releases.

 The patch for stable/8 can be found at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~hrs/ipv6_stable8.20091005.diff

 This includes both of the ND6 kernel change and the rc.d script
 change.  If there is an objection from someone here I will put off
 the merge until after 8.0-R.

-- Hiroki