Re: nd6 change and rc.d/network_ipv6 -> rc.d/netif integration

From: Hiroki Sato <hrs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 07:07:14 +0900 (JST)
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> wrote
  in <8663atv9dz.fsf_at_ds4.des.no>:

de> Hiroki Sato <hrs_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
de> > No, the rc.conf(5) has been updated in r197526:
de> >
de> >      ipv6_enable
de> >                  (bool) If the variable is ``YES'', ``inet6 accept_rtadv'' is
de> >                  added to all of ifconfig_<interface>_ipv6 and the ipv6_prefer
de> >                  is defined as ``YES''.
de> >
de> >                  This variable is deprecated.  Use ipv6_prefer and
de> >                  ifconfig_<interface>_ipv6.
de>
de> Still not very helpful.
de>
de> If I install FreeBSD from a release CD and use the GENERIC kernel and do
de> *not* want to use IPv6, what do I do?
de>
de> Please don't answer "compile a custom kernel".

 It depends on the definition of "use", but the answer is "do not put
 any $ifconfig_IF_ipv6 or $ipv6_prefer to your rc.conf".  If so, IPv6
 will be "disabled" (including communication using link-local
 addresses) on all of interfaces except lo0.  It is the default
 behavior now.

 I do not think this means "IPv6 is disabled by default".  By adding
 an IPv6 address by using ifconfig(8) after boot you can still use
 IPv6 on that interface.  This is almost the same as IPv4 does.  When
 I do not want to use IPv4, I do not put any IPv4 addresses to
 $ifconfig_IF.

 Strictly speaking the address ::1/128 on lo0 cannot be removed
 because it is assigned by the kernel itself unlike IPv4's 127.0.0.1,
 so you can use the loopback address without knowing it.  If you do
 not want to use it, you can disable IPv6 on lo0 manually by "ifconfig
 lo0 inet6 ifdisabled".  Anyway, the existence of this loopback
 address has not been changed for a long time.

-- Hiroki