Re: Per Jail Memory Limits

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:45:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Tom Judge wrote:
>> Adam Vande More wrote:
>>> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Tom Judge <tom_at_tomjudge.com
>>> <mailto:tom_at_tomjudge.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Julian Elischer wrote:
>>>
>>>         Tom Judge wrote:
>>>
>>>             Hi,
>>>
>>>             Does anyone know of a patch that will add per jail memory
>>>             limits so that a jail can't swallow the resources of the
>>>             entire box?
>>>

>>>             Thanks
>>>
>>>             Tom
>>>
>>>         not yet..
>>>

>>>     I started to port this to 7.1 today:
>>>
>>>     http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits
>>>

>>>     What are the peoples opinions on this patch?
>>>

>>>     Tom
>>>

>>> If you're soliciting opinions if this will be used and is needed, I would
>>> love to see this functionality.  This is the main reason I've had to chose
>>> XEN over jails.  If you need some help testing, let me know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adam Vande More
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I have a patch against 7.1 here:
>> http://svn.tomjudge.com/freebsd/patches/jail-resource-limits/jail-limits.patch
>

> probably the person who should work with this in -current is james (CC'd)

Probably the person who should be contacted is trasz who worked on
hierachical resource limit per .., jail in p4.  Though this is
slightly different.

I think it's ok if people need those things to update the pathes but I
doubt any will probably ever make it into FreeBSD as those things are kind
of contrary to the V_ plans.

BTW, I think the patch referenced is not the latest I had seen and I
thought that we also had one for 7.x or even for 8 already floating around.
Maybe some investigation on list archives etc. might be helpful before
starting to hack things.  Maybe also check the links on
http://wiki.freebsd.org/Jails

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb         It will not break if you know what you are doing.