8.0rc1 not recognizing partitions on EPIA SN

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 15:53:56 -0700
First, I tried to upgrade the normal way.  I built my own kernel and
installed it, but when I tried to boot it, I got a mountroot> prompt.
When I printed the devices, instead of seeing ad0s1a and friends, I saw
ad0a and ad0d (just those two for ad0).  I was still able to use the old
(7.1) kernel fine.  Thinking it was something to do with the upgrade, I
tried to do a reinstall.  I chose the default options, but once it got
to the "last chance..." screen, this happened:

Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

Needless to say, the installation failed.

Like I said in the subject, this is with a VIA EPIA SN motherboard.  The
hard drive is a CF card in a slot on the board.  The card's worked fine
in the past, and was detected fine at partitioning time.

Forgive me if this is the wrong list, and please CC me as I am not on
the mailing list.