Re: ACPI Warning: Converted Buffer to expected String

From: Lawrence Stewart <lstewart_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:42:47 -0700
Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 October 2009 05:50 pm, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>> Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> by new ACPICA.  However, if you see "ACPI Error", that's
>>> something to worry about, e.g., cannot convert predefined types.
>> So I should be worried about this line from my Toshiba R600
>> laptop's dmesg?
>>
>> ACPI Error: Package List length (0xC) larger than NumElements count
>> (0x4), truncated
>
> Strictly speaking, it is an error because ACPI specification says so
> (hence the error message).  However, no exception is returned because
> of Windows compatibility according to the comments in the source.

Ok thanks for explaining.

> If everything is working fine, just ignore it. :-)

When I boot this particular laptop into windows and then back into
FreeBSD (even after a power down in between), I get a reproducible panic
while the kernel is booting and probing devices which can only be fixed
by going into the BIOS config screen and restoring to defaults. I
suspect the Windows drivers are leaving the hardware in some fancy state
the FreeBSD kernel doesn't like. I have a hunch it is ACPI related. Is
there some way I can tell? The panic/backtrace is always the same as
follows:

Slab at 0xffffff00025d5b18, freei 3 = 0.
panic: Duplicate free of item 0xffffff00025f8c00 from zone
0xffffff00b697d400(1024)

Backtrace at the ddb prompt looks like this:

db> bt
kdb_enter()+0x3d
panic()+0x17b
uma_dbg_free()+0x171