Re: 8.0rc1 not recognizing partitions on EPIA SN

From: Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:05:41 +0200
2009/10/17 Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>:
> Antony Mawer <lists_at_mawer.org> writes:
>> Am I correct in reading this as saying that -any- system which was
>> setup as dangerously dedicated will be unbootable under 8.0, and the
>> only way to fix is to basically repartition and reinstall...? If so
>> ... !!!
>
> You brought it upon yourself by setting it up that way in the first
> place.  It's called *dangerously* dedicated for a reason.

Indeed, though I was under the impression that the reason was "nothing
else will understand this", not "we might not support this in the
future". The definition from the relevant handbook section seems
relevant:

> *(dangerously) dedicated mode: Formatting a disk with no slice table.
> This makes the process of adding disks easier, however non-FreeBSD
> operating systems may not accept the disk.
> Oppose compatibility mode.

Then again, the same handbook page
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/formatting-media/index.html)
does warn against "interoperability with future installations", which
could be read as a warning against these problems.

--
Daniel Nebdal