Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:37:05 -0700
I'm having a strange issue with samba-3.3.8.  When I open a file from a
Vista machine, it's corrupted.  When it's an uncompressed image, I get
sections where 3308 bytes of pixels are black.  They're not evenly
distributed, and I'd guess they fill between 10% and 20% of the image.
If I open the file from an XP machine (in VMware on the same computer),
this doesn't happen.  It's not the disk; it's ZFS, and the lines aren't
consistent.  Opening the file from a samba on a different FreeBSD box
with the data accessed via NFS works (again, not the disk).  The problem
also happens if I access a file on a non-ZFS disk.

Trying to see if it's a a 8.0 issue, I did a fresh installation in
VMware (aside: the kernel in the installer crashes with the LSI Logic
controller VMware emulates), installed samba 3.3 from packages, mounted
the files via nfs, and it works from Vista.

A 100MB file transfer with netcat between buggy FreeBSD and Vista worked.

I grabbed a fresh ports tree, cleaned it, then did portupgrade -P -R -f
net/samba33.  Didn't work.  I tried again, but entirely from packages,
and also removed and reinstalled most of the dependencies, but no luck.
That time, I even started a fresh smb.conf and deleted /var/db/samba.

My /var was corrupted at one point, so any db there might not have been
reliable (hence -R on portupgrade).

Ideas?