Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:33:50 -0500
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 12:15 +1100, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> > I committed a patch the other day that will set the active flag for a
> > GPT partitioned disk when you install bootcode on it.
>

> Great. Will that make it to RC2?
>
> Until then, is this the correct procedure to make a disk capable of booting ZFS:
>
>    gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ad4
>    echo 'a 1' | fdisk -f - /dev/ad4

I used to do it by just calling "fdisk -a /dev/ad4".  It prompts you and
did the right thing.  Note that only one of my machines needs the active
flag specifically set.  Most BIOS don't seem to need it, but then some
do and it doesn't hurt to set it.

> Sean mentions that 16 blocks have to be reserved at the start of the disk (to allow for the bootloader?). Will that also go away with your new patch so that the appropriate space is preserved? Will 16 blocks be enough forever?

I don't normally do this, no... But I'm not sure exactly how you have
setup your disks.  I use GPT and have not needed to do that... I posted
the procedure that I use a few minutes ago.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD