Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:46:54 -0500
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 14:22 +1100, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 22/10/09 12:16 PM, Robert Noland wrote:
> > Make sure that your loader has zfs support.  Setting
> > LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT="YES" in make.conf will take care of it.
>
> Does this setting just create /boot/pmbr and /boot/gptzfsboot files in /boot? We use freebsd-update as a binary update mechanism and I can see those files already exist (8.0-RC1), so perhaps it isn't needed except to compile the appropriate boot loader files?

gptboot and pmbr should be there always... The LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT has to
do with it requiring CDDL code and so isn't / wasn't built by default...
I'm not fully aware of the details... I just know that when I setup my
first amd64 box w/ zfs root it wasn't part of the normal CDs.  So I
built up a temporary install to bootstrap it and install the OS.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD