Re: Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:09:32 -0700
Ivan Voras wrote:
> David Ehrmann wrote:
>> I'm having a strange issue with samba-3.3.8.  When I open a file from
>> a Vista machine, it's corrupted.  When it's an uncompressed image, I
>> get sections where 3308 bytes of pixels are black.  They're not
>> evenly distributed, and I'd guess they fill between 10% and 20% of
>> the image.  If I open the file from an XP machine (in VMware on the
>> same computer), this doesn't happen.  It's not the disk; it's ZFS,
>> and the lines aren't consistent.  Opening the file from a samba on a
>> different FreeBSD box with the data accessed via NFS works (again,
>> not the disk).  The problem also happens if I access a file on a
>> non-ZFS disk.
>>
>> Trying to see if it's a a 8.0 issue, I did a fresh installation in
>> VMware (aside: the kernel in the installer crashes with the LSI Logic
>> controller VMware emulates), installed samba 3.3 from packages,
>> mounted the files via nfs, and it works from Vista.
>>
>> A 100MB file transfer with netcat between buggy FreeBSD and Vista
>> worked.
>>
>> I grabbed a fresh ports tree, cleaned it, then did portupgrade -P -R
>> -f net/samba33.  Didn't work.  I tried again, but entirely from
>> packages, and also removed and reinstalled most of the dependencies,
>> but no luck.  That time, I even started a fresh smb.conf and deleted
>> /var/db/samba.
>>
>> My /var was corrupted at one point, so any db there might not have
>> been reliable (hence -R on portupgrade).
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> This looks like too much problems at the same time to be a problem in
> samba or FreeBSD.
>
> For what it's worth, here are some ideas and data points:
>
> - FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 installs and runs perfectly normal in VMWare ESXi
> with LSI emulation
Interesting.  VMware ESXi is reporting version 3.5.0 153875 for me, and
the checksum on the 8.0rc1 ISO has Google results.
> - If it is a disk problem (bad cable? controller?) it could manifest
> itself or at least give some clue if you did 'zpool scrub'. ZFS is
> checksummed - it should give you IO errors if the data gets corrupted.
zfs hasn't given me any issues.  zpool status shows no errors on the
drives, and checksums (like the one I did above) come out perfectly.  I
brought up zfs because someone elsewhere mentioned it being linked to
samba problems and mmap.  The problem showed up on a ufs partition on a
different disk, so the problem's not with zfs.
> - There are several versions of Samba in the ports - can you try
> another one?
4 is missing features I need.  I tried another 3.x, but I had the same
problem.
> - Before you do anything, have you updated to the latest 8.0 source?
No, but maybe I should.  Kernel source or world source?