Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:28:01 -0500
On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 14:25 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 02:01 -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari_at_ish.com.au> wrote:
> > You may also want to check out these pages I created on how to setup a
> > Root on ZFS configuration with ZFS using MBR, and GPT (Single, Mirror,
> > RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2) Configurations.
> >
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS
> >
> > If anyone notices a problem with them, either let me know or update
> > the wiki page.
> >
> > Scot
>
> As I'm planning to do this tomorrow morning, can I just say these
> instructions are great! One small thing, in the RAIDZ1 guide, step 1.8
> (Create ZFS Pool zroot) says:
>
>         Fixit# mkdir /boot/zfs
>         Fixit# zpool create tank raidz1 ad0p3 ad1p3 ad2p3
>         Fixit# zpool set bootfs=zroot zroot

Since I've been spending some quality time with the zfs boot code
lately, setting bootfs can be problematic.  I have a patch that fixes
it, but what I discovered is that zpool won't allow you to add top-level
devices (at least) if bootfs is set (Since opensolaris can't actually
boot in this case, however we can).  Once bootfs has been set, the
property is always present, even if you clear the parameter back to
default.  The current zfs boot code will then go down a hole and fail to
boot.  Setting bootfs is *not* required on FreeBSD, however this issue
should be fixed in -CURRENT pretty soon.

robert.