Re: Strange issue with Samba on 8.0rc1

From: David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:29:58 -0700
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM, David Ehrmann <ehrmann_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I just gave my other ethernet device, vr0, an IP and netmask.  I'm seeing
> the same problem if I access the samba share via that IP.  Unless FreeBSD is
> doing something funny and trying to guess that the two IP addresses are on
> the same network and sending all data out on the faster interface, I think
> the vge driver is off the hook.
>
> I also switched my laptop over from wifi to ethernet, but that also didn't
> change things.

I rebuilt FreeBSD 8.0rc1 from source, copied it to my machine, and
"upgraded."  I'm still having the problem, and I noticed a similar flavor of
problem when an XP client connects and transfers a file.

But for now, I'll ignore that.  I can't csup the stable supfile.  The only
change I made to the one in /usr/share/examples/cvsup was setting the host
to cvsup10.us.freebsd.org.  Everything else is the same.  Here's what
happens when I run it:

# csup stable-supfile
Connected to 69.147.83.48
Updating collection src-all/cvs
 Checkout src/COPYRIGHT
 Checkout src/LOCKS
 Checkout src/MAINTAINERS
Receiver: Connection reset by peer
Will retry at 13:51:34
Retrying
Connected to 69.147.83.48
Protocol error during collection exchange

cvsup fails, too.  It's probably not my internet connection because I was
able to use csup on another machine, and things like pkg_add -r work on this
one.  Maybe the compact flash FreeBSD is on has worn out where something
important is stored, or maybe there's a strange networking bug.

Any other ideas?  How can I debug this?