Re: Installing RELEASE_8 alongside RELEASE_7 on respective slices

From: <a.agarwal_at_jach.hawaii.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 03:41:38 -1000
Around 03.15am wrote 'Alexey Shuvaev' on fateful day of Oct 28, 2009
thusly in message <20091028124322.GA22422_at_wep4035.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de> ...

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:25:51PM -1000, a.agarwal_at_jach.hawaii.edu wrote:
> > (Please CC me as I am not currently subscribed with this
> > address.)
> >
> > Currently I have RELEASE_7 installed on one slice, and have
> > copied the file structure from there to a different slice which
> > currently contains the RELEASE_8 source ...
> >   ad4s2a  /         base RELEASE_7 install /{,boot,root,usr} etc.
> >   ad4s3a  /current  contains copy of / & RELEASE_8 source
> > While running RELEASE_7 system, I want to install RELEASE_8 such
> > that it puts/overwrites the files in /current.  How do I go
> > about that without affecting / with RELEASE_7 installation?
> >
> One of the possible ways

Another way one of the private replies mentioned was ...

   by mounting devfs to /current, chroot and then do freebsd-update
   upgrade

> (compile from sources): Say, /path/to/src8 is path where your
> RELEASE_8 sources are and /path/to/root8 is path where you have
> mounted partition dedicated to RELEASE_8.
>
> cd /path/to/src8
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make DESTDIR=/path/to/root8 installkernel
> make DESTDIR=/path/to/root8 installworld
> make DESTDIR=/path/to/root8 distribution

Ah, DESTDIR.  I got a private reply which mentioned that; above
expands on that.  I might have missed the "make distribution" step.

> You have to manualy edit /path/to/root8/etc/fstab and figure out
> how will you boot new system.

Yes; shouldn't be too hard to think of the mount points.  I would
just need to think about that.

> Also note that it is better to make new partition clean before the
> above mentioned procedure (you don't need the copy of RELEASE_7).
> It is also irrelevant where do you have RELEASE_8 sources.

I was loosely thinking that the plan might call for making
/path/to/root8 (with RELEASE_7 copy) as the root mount point during
bootup; then running the compilation steps there, /path/to/root7
possibly unmounted.

Your suggestion simplifies a ton.

> HTH,

Indeed that does; thanks much.