Re: gpart, bsdlabel and fdisk

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:08:05 -0500
On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 18:24 +1100, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> On 22/10/09 6:01 PM, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS
> >
> > If anyone notices a problem with them, either let me know or update
> > the wiki page.
>
> I've got some problems when following your instructions (http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror )
>

> 1. gpart set -a active -i 1 ad0
>
> This throws an error:
>    gpart: attrib active: device not configured

This is what I was saying... This doesn't work on GPT labeled disks.
You only need to do this if your BIOS requires it.  If you are using
-CURRENT, it will be marked active when you install bootcode with gpart.

> 2. zpool create zroot mirror /dev/gpt/disk0 /dev/gpt/disk1
>
> Those devices don't exist. /dev/ad8p3 exists and can be used. But there isn't even a /dev/gpt directory.

He labeled the disks when he created the partitions.  See the -l option.
Using the actual dev entry or the gptid is fine though.

> 3. cd /dist/8.0-20090628-SNAP and then install base, catpages, etc
>
> We are using 8.0-RC2 and those folders do not exist in that location. Instead /dist contains a regular FreeBSD intallation, not install packages on the Fixit CD.
>

> Unfortunately when we work around all the above issues, the resulting installed system will not boot from the ZFS drives.

What error is reported?

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>