Re: Host OS (OS X 10.6.1) panic when booting 8.0-RC2 in VirtualBox 3.0.10

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:03:00 +0000 (GMT)
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Matthias Rampke wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Matthias Rampke
> <matthias.rampke_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been experiencing reproducible kernel panics in Mac OS X 10.6.1 when
>> booting 8.0-RC1 and -RC2 (amd64) in a VirtualBox VM.
>>
>> I had a (mostly pristine) 7.2-RELEASE running in this VM and tried to
>> upgrade to 8.0-RC2 with freebsd-update.

It could well be that a bug in FreeBSD is triggering the bug in VirtualBox,
but we're unlikely to make much headway debugging the FreeBSD bug (if any)
until the bug in VirtualBox is diagnosed/fixed.  I'm not sure what the normal
debugging procedure for vbox panics on Mac OS X is, but I'd suggest making a
backup copy of the bad VM so that you can trigger it on demand later.

> This does not happen in a new, freshly installed VM. Now it hangs at usbus
> initialization, but I suppose that's a different story (the pains of using
> USB with VirtualBox, they never end).

This, on the other hand, could be our bug; there's a new USB stack in 8.0.  I
suggest creating a new thread for that issue with a usb-related subject line
to make sure the right folk see it.

Robert